Do you have what it takes to be a Ring City Rollergirl?
Are you passionate about skating? Do you love the sport of derby? Want to participate in community service? Do you have a lot of free time?
Most of all, do you want to be part of an awesome, dedicated group of women in North Carolina who want to take derby to the next level?
Wondering if you can try out? Are you:
- 18 and older?
- insured? (not required, but strongly recommended)
What you should do:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us a little bit about yourself so we can expect you and send you all the information you may need!
- Get in shape! The more you skate, the better. Derby is very physically and emotionally demanding, but extremely rewarding. There are skills tests and assessments that one must pass before being voted onto the league.
- Watch roller derby. Learn about the sport, the rules, and the physical demands it might place on your body and mind.
- Talk to some derby girls. Ask questions. We’ll tell you whatever you’d like to know and then some.
- You can get a good perspective of derby life and see how it all works by volunteering. If you are interested, please send us your information at email@example.com
What you can expect:
- to pay monthly dues ($30/month)
- to pay for USARS insurance ($45/yr)
- to attend at least 2-3 practices per week
- to pay for upkeep of equipment (skates, pads, helmet, uniforms, mouth guards, duct tape, etc)
- to get lots of bumps and bruises (Our saying is, “It’s not if you get hurt, but when…”) however we do work very hard to prevent them by properly training to skate safely and doing injury preventing exercises.
- to have a TON of fun, make lifelong friendships, and be a part of a wonderful team of amazing athletes.
Currently we are practicing at The Wreck Room (212 Queen St) in Kinston, NC on Monday & Wednesday nights from 6:30 – 8:30 PM and Sunday mornings 10am-12pm. Rental skates are available and we usually are able to provide loaner gear until you are able to purchase your own.
For insurance purposes, you will be required to sign a waiver before skating with us. To participate in practices, boot camps or tryouts, you will need to wear the following protective gear:
- Knee and elbow pads (Trust us, you’ll need them!)
The WFTDA minimum skills requirements can be found & downloaded here. You can print these before hand and reference them at practices.
If you have any more questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org! We look forward to seeing you.